Monday, August 2, 2010

What the heck is a wonk?!

Hello fellow voters!  I thought I might start out with an answer to the question that some of you are no doubt asking yourselves...what's a wonk?  Wonk is generally defined as a person who studies a subject or issue in an excessively assiduous and thorough manner: a policy wonk.  (Dictionary.com Unabridged - Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2010.).

However, I'm guessing that many of you DO know what a wonk is and are wondering why I'm using it as a verb lol.  If that's what you're wondering, then I'm very pleased to meet you!  You're definitely in the right place. 
 
Here's the deal...a wonk, or a policy wonk, is someone who studies and focuses on the details of policy and I think that's exactly what political campaigns are all about.  What are these candidates' policy views?  What policies do they want to change?  Of course there are other parts of that crazy thing called a political campaign, but when you get right down to it...it's the policy, stupid ;-)  As for why I'm taking the liberty of using it as a verb, well, why not?  It's done all the time!  So come on...wonk with me or get nerdy or whatever you wanna call it, but please...get educated before you go vote!  Of course I'm hoping you'll decide to wonk THIS way. 

1 comment: