Wednesday, August 4, 2010

US House District 2 Line-up and Bandwagon 2010

I've been trying to figure out where I should start and finally decided to dig in with the race for the U.S. House, District 2.  If you're reading this, you probably already know that Congressman Allen Boyd, a Democrat, is the incumbent.  He's been in office for 14 years and is facing a primary opponent in Senator Al Lawson.  Rep. Boyd and Sen. Lawson are the only two Democrats running, but there are a whole bunch of other people in the race!  I had never heard of most, if any, of them until the signs started sprouting all over town.  Now of course I see Eddie Hendry signs in my dreams because there are so many of those signs!  Someone told me he posted $40,000 in donations and expended $50,000 for signs and I would believe it!

Many of the candidates for District 2 attended Bandwagon 2010 Monday evening.  This event was put on by the League of Women Voters and WFSU.  The event was broadcast live, but if you're curious to see how they all performed (well...the ones who showed up), then check out WFSU's schedule since I've been told they replay it multiple times before the primary.  http://wfsu.org/community/bandwagon2010.php

OK, on to the list of Republicans in no particular order:
1.  Eddie Hendry (sorry about the sign jab above, but wow...)
2.  Ron McNeil - took the opportunity at Bandwagon 2010 to plug his book entitled "Have We Lost Our Minds?" - my answer is...never mind...that's too easy
3.  David Scholl - told the audience that he voted for Reagan and then proceeded to invoke the name of Reagan so many times that I started to feel like I'd gone back in time...kinda strange
4.  Barbara F. Olschner - no show for Bandwagon 2010 in Tally, but according to her Twitter posts she took part in another similar forum west of here Tuesday night where she stated that the two biggest differences between her and the rest of the candidates are that she is the only woman and the only lawyer.  I will have to return to that topic later...
5.  Steve Southerland - also a no show in Tally, Mr. Southerland is in the funeral home business in Panama City.

No Party Affiliation and Write-In:
1.  Dianne Berryhill
2.  Paul C. McKain
3.  Ray Netherwood

Quite frankly, there are so many people running in this race that my eyes are glazing over and yours probably are too!  So, I'm going to break my candidate review into separate posts coming soon.

My last comment for the moment is about the Bandwagon 2010 event itself.  The League of Women Voters is a wonderful and worthwhile organization and the event was well done for what it was.  I just hope that more people than not do more research on the candidates than could be provided in a 3 minute stump speech...

No comments:

Post a Comment